Average Prices for Abdominoplasty in Sydney
Are you considering a tummy tuck – abdominoplasty in Sydney? If so, you’re not alone. Many men and women turn to this popular cosmetic surgery nowadays. In this blog, we’ll discuss the ins and outs of abdominoplasty, including the factors that influence the cost of the procedure, types of abdominoplasties, and what to expect during and after surgery. We’ll also discuss tips on choosing the right surgeon.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Jeremy Hunt is committed to helping his patients have a smooth journey and a pleasant experience with plastic surgery.
Download the Guide to Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Surgery
What Is a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)?
Abdominoplasty is often performed to help patients get rid of excess skin present at the level of the abdominal wall. During the procedure, the plastic surgeon can also tighten weak abdominal muscles. The tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty procedure is not a substitute for weight loss or a healthy lifestyle.
The reasons why people decide to undergo a tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty include:
- To remove excess skin and fat after significant weight loss
- To address weakened abdominal muscles
Factors Affecting Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Sydney Prices
When it comes to abdominoplasty cost in Sydney, there are many different factors that can influence the overall price of the procedure. Some of these factors include:
Surgeon’s experience and expertise
The talent and experience of your chosen plastic surgeon can play a significant role in the cost of your abdominoplasty. Highly skilled and experienced plastic surgeons might charge more for their services, as they are in demand and might offer a higher standard of care.
The area where your surgery will take place can impact the price of your tummy tuck – abdominoplasty. For example, procedures performed in metropolitan areas with a higher cost of living, such as Sydney, are often more expensive than having your tummy tuck – abdominoplasty done in a smaller city or in a rural area.
The type of facility where your surgery will be performed can also affect the cost. Private hospitals are likely to charge higher fees than public hospitals, as they offer more specialised care and a higher level of comfort and privacy.
Average Cost Of Abdominoplasty In Sydney
The average cost of an abdominoplasty in Sydney can range from $12,000 to over $20,000, depending on the factors mentioned above. This price typically includes the surgeon’s fee, anaesthesia, facility fees, and any necessary medical tests or prescriptions. Keep in mind that these costs can vary greatly from one patient to another, and it is crucial to obtain a personalised quote from your chosen plastic surgeon for a more accurate estimate.
Types Of Abdominoplasties And Their Costs In Sydney
There are several types of procedures that can be performed, each with its own unique set of benefits and costs. These include:
- Mini Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty
This type of abdominplasty is a less invasive procedure that focuses on the lower abdomen, below the belly button. This option is good for individuals with minimal excess skin and fat in this area. The cost of a mini tummy tuck – abdominoplasty in Sydney starts from $7,000.
- Full Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty
A full abdominoplasty or a traditional tummy tuck addresses the entire abdominal area, both above and below the belly button. This procedure is suitable for individuals with more significant amounts of excess skin and fat or those with weakened abdominal muscles. The cost of a full tummy tuck – abdominoplasty in Sydney starts from $12,000.
- Extended Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty
This type of abdominoplasty is a more extensive procedure that addresses not only the abdomen but also the flanks and lower back. This option is ideal for individuals with significant excess skin and fat that extends beyond the abdominal area. The cost of an extended tummy tuck – abdominoplasty in Sydney starts from $15,000.
Additional Factors Influencing Abdominoplasty Cost In Sydney
In addition to the factors we have already mentioned, there are other elements that may impact the cost of your tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty in Sydney. These include:
- Anaesthesia fees
The type of anaesthesia used during your procedure can also affect the overall cost. General anaesthesia, which is commonly used for tummy tucks/ abdominoplasties, may be more expensive than local anaesthesia or twilight sedation.
- Pre-operative testing
Before undergoing a tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty, you may be required to undergo various medical tests, such as blood work or an EKG. These tests can add to the cost of your procedure.
- Post-operative care
Following your tummy tuck, you may require post-operative care, such as prescription medication or follow-up appointments with your plastic surgeon. These additional expenses should also be factored into the overall cost.
The Process of a Tummy Tuck – Abdominoplasty Surgery
Before undergoing an abdominoplasty, you will have at least a consultation with your plastic surgeon to discuss your goals for the procedure and determine if you are a suitable candidate. During the surgery itself, you will be placed under general anaesthesia to ensure your comfort and safety.
The plastic surgeon will make an incision along the lower abdomen, above the pubic bone, and remove excess skin and fat. He will also tighten the abdominal muscles, if necessary, and reposition the remaining skin for a smoother, more contoured aspect of the tummy. The incision will then be closed, and a compression garment will be placed over the abdominal area to aid in the healing process.
How long the procedure takes depends on the type of abdominoplasty you are undergoing but often it lasts between two and four hours. You will then be monitored in a recovery area before being released to go home the same day, if no complications occur.
What To Expect After A Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Surgery
After your surgery, you will experience discomfort, swelling and bruising, which is a normal part of the healing process. Your plastic surgeon will provide you with instructions on incision care and pain management.
Choosing The Right Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Surgeon In Sydney
When choosing a tummy tuck – abdominoplasty surgeon in Sydney, it is important to do your research and select a qualified, experienced specialist plastic surgeon. Choose a plastic surgeon who has all the accreditations, experience and a proven track record of successful tummy tuck – abdominoplasty procedures. You should also ask to see before-and-after photos during your consultation with the plastic surgeon.
Also, make sure to ask any questions you may have during the initial meeting with the surgeon and address any concerns. See how comfortable you feel with your surgeon and how confident in their ability to provide you with the results you want to achieve.
FAQs about Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty and Costs
Is abdominoplasty an expensive surgery?
- Tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty is considered a major cosmetic surgery and thus, can be quite expensive, especially as the costs encompass more than the surgery itself. These costs often include the surgeon’s fee, anaesthetist’s fee, hospital stay, and any necessary aftercare or follow-ups. In Sydney, Australia, the costs of a tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty could range from $12,000 to $20,000+, but they may vary depending on individual circumstances and surgeon’s expertise.
What should I know before choosing my surgeon for abdominoplasty?
- Before choosing a surgeon for your abdominoplasty, you should ensure they are fully qualified in plastic surgery and have extensive experience performing this particular procedure. Check their past results and request to see before and after photos of tummy tuck – abdominoplasty patients to gauge their skill and reliability. You should also ensure you feel comfortable communicating with them, as a good patient-surgeon relationship is key to achieving the best outcome.
Does anaesthesia play a role in the total feel of tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty?
- Anaesthesia is crucial in abdominoplasty as it ensures that you don’t feel discomfort or pain during the surgery. This type of procedure is usually performed under general anaesthesia, which will also affect the overall cost. The anaesthetist’s experience is also vital as they monitor your vitals during the procedure to ensure you are safe throughout the surgery.
Will the tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty results last a lifetime?
- While abdominoplasty results can be long-lasting, they are not usually considered to last a “lifetime” as significant weight fluctuations, pregnancy, and ageing can impact the results. To maintain the results as long as possible, it’s recommended to follow a balanced diet and regular exercise regimen.
Does insurance cover tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty in Australia?
- In case of insurance coverage, most health insurance policies in Australia do not cover abdominoplasty as it’s viewed as a cosmetic procedure. However, if there’s a medical need, such as repairing abdominal separation (diastasis recti) that causes functional problems, insurance may cover a portion of the costs. It’s recommended to check with your insurance provider to understand your coverage better.
Further Reading about Abdominoplasty with Dr Hunt
- Read Dr Hunt’s Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Surgery Page
Read Dr Hunt’s Blog about How to Sleep After Abdominoplasty
- Read Dr Hunt’s Blog about Exercising After Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Surgery
- Read Dr Hunt’s Blog about How to Minimise a Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Scar
- Read Dr Hunt’s Blog about What Is the Ideal Weight or BMI before Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Surgery?
- Read Dr Hunt’s Blog about Recovery after Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty Surgery
Medical References about Abdominoplasty
- Abdominoplasty News, Research – News Medical
- Tummy tuck recovery: Timeline and tips – Medical News Today
- Four medical benefits of a tummy tuck – ASPS
- Tummy tuck – Mayo Clinic
About Dr Jeremy Hunt – Plastic Surgeon
He is a member of FRACS & ASPS and has over 20 years of experience providing plastic surgery in Sydney.
Careful, considerate and honest, Dr Jeremy Hunt works with you to find a solution that is optimal for your body and your lifestyle.
With personal, one-on-one service and attention to detail, Dr Hunt has given thousands of women and men from the Sydney & Wollongong NSW area and across Australia the aesthetic results they desire.
Dr Hunt’s qualifications and education
Dr Jeremy A Hunt MBBS FRACS graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree from Sydney University in 1990 and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgery. He completed a Fellowship at the prestigious University of Texas in the United States, where he learnt from some of the world’s very best plastic surgeons.
Next Step – Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call on 1300 157 200 or contact us
If Eyelid Rejuvenation is something you’re considering, Dr Hunt can thoroughly explain all the options to you in a one-on-one consultation.
- Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health professional.